With 6 years of professional experience in Digital Marketing. Gopu is currently building Nymbl Digital, a content marketing agency based out of Bangalore. His industry experience includes – real estate, healthcare, e-commerce, ed-tech, education and fin-tech. He loves reading, playing chess and dancing to Zumba. Curious minded – he is currently exploring the evolution of money, the functioning of the monetary system, need of blockchain and cryptocurrencies.
Further, Let us hear from him
Hello and Welcome Gopu!
Let’s begin with your unique story, could you please share that with us?
Sure, It started back in college, in 2014. I have had a few businesses – ranging from customised t-shirts to flipping different kinds of products on eBay. I have sold PopSockets and Fidget Spinners (this was a big fad then) via Instagram, Facebook & eBay. Each of them being bootstrapped with a profitable exit.
As a 24-year-old Digital Marketing Professional, with a combined experience of 6 years – I have handled approx 07 crores under Annual Marketing Budget.
I have also interned at a couple of startups.
My ex-professional experience includes co-heading end-to-end digital strategy at Navigus, an ed-tech startup in Bangalore and as a Social Media Specialist at Social Beat, one of India’s leading digital marketing agencies.
At my core, I believe I am a startup guy and always aspired to have my own business. So thought of “why not give this a try?”
Currently bootstrapping and heading Strategy, Business, Performance Marketing, and Social Media at Nymbl Digital. We are a content marketing agency with a presence in Bangalore and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. You can ping me on LinkedIn
And yes, Gopu is my real name. Not a nick! 🙂
According to you, what’s the best way to start the day?
Consuming good content. I prefer reading tweets from my favourite people, followed by long-form content.
Who is or has been your inspiration?
For me, idols change from time to time. 2014-17 was The Gary Vee period. Currently, it’s product start founders like Sahil Lavingia, Kunal Shah, Brian Chesky. And Naval – he’s a genius.
What makes digital marketing different from traditional marketing?
It’s the same at the core. Understanding your consumer, where their attention lies and deploying your marketing activities there, followed by delighting them at every step. The difference is only of the medium of communication.
What are your three favourite digital marketing tools?
- FB Ads Manager
How would you define success in your career?
I think it would be that point when I’d realise we were the ones we were always seeking. Till then, keep exploring.
What is your biggest dream in life?
Financial Independence at this stage of my life. Then open an angel fund, invest in startups and enjoy the sheer joy of building products and experiences with them.
What’s worth spending more on to get the best?
Learning and investing.
Lastly, would you like to say something to our readers?
I am 24 and in the past 2½ years of professional hands-on experience this is what I think:
- Learn as much as you can. Don’t worry about the monetary benefits.
- Have a good relationship with your colleagues. It’s not worth burning bridges.
- Network with like-minded people via Linkedin or meetups.
- Start investing 25%-30% of your income in MFs, equities, fixed assets.
- Don’t think of the job as a 9–5. You’ll hear from a lot of people that you should only work for what you’re being paid. That’s wrong. No matter who, regardless of what professional position or how many people tell you this, that’s just wrong.
If your job is giving you a lot to learn, invest after office hours into it. Consider it as an MBA that is paying you to study. And study hard enough.
- Don’t get caught in office politics. It’s going to be a new world, you will encounter certain people, situations, and things that you believed were only true in movies. Just don’t let it get to your head.
- Be kind to everyone, talk to everyone, hang out with everyone – but don’t talk bad about anyone. Negativity breeds fast and do not let yourself be the harbour to it.
Thank you, we truly appreciate your valuable time spent with us.
Thanks, Deepak. Likewise!
Wishing you the best in all your future endeavours.